Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Give them the rings

The priest looked around as if searching for something. I knew it. God was against us helping them unite. How cruel! With a courage I had never known to possess, I crept nearer, eyes focused on the ground where the priest had been hit by the lightning. I scanned the area and to my utter astonishment and relief I saw the two rings. I picked them up immediately.
A sudden warm and calm feeling came over me. There was a warmth from the rings. This has to be something good, no doubt. It was like coming to the end of a race and heading to the finishing line. The end was in sight and my heart was about to burst with joy. I had no fear now. What mattered most was to get the whole business done.
The rings seemed to glow with a strange brilliance that I had often seen in the sky when the stars twinkled. The couple was smiling at me. That gave me the confidence. Their faces glowed as if they knew the end was near. Their faces were not hideous as one would expect. They were smiling and beckoning to me. The fear I had all this while faded and I knew for once that I need not fear ghosts or devils.
Without hesitation, I handed the rings to the priest. He nodded and quickly said his prayers although I could not understand a single word. From the gestures and movements of his mouth, I knew that he was performing what he had to do.
I knelt by his side facing the two pitiful souls. The wind was still furious, the lightning was sill flashing but it was far away. Thunder was pounding away in the distance.
The priest handed the rings to them. The girl took the rings and put one on her finger and the other onto the boy's finger. It was at this instant when the two had their rings on that something unexpected happened. The wind suddenly died down. The lightning ceased all of a sudden. Even the thunder faded without leaving any trace. I was amazed and shocked. I looked a the priest. He looked at me in return. We turned to the place where the two souls were huddled. They were standing up now and were holding hands. They were in total happiness and were smiling from ear to ear.

No comments: