Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The agonosing wait

That night the dinner was really tasteless; not that my mother's cooking was bad but the thought of the encounter that was to happen spoiled my appetite. My mother noticed the sudden change. I did not really ate but nibbled at the food and all the time my mind was far away.
I waited after dinner. As the minutes ticked away, I became more restless. My beating of my heart increased. My palms became sweaty and my mind was numb. I could not concentrate on my reading. I did not know what I was reading. I just sat with my book in my hands and staring at the pages as if they were windows outside. My eyes did not blink; not even once.
After a very long time, I was suddenly awoken from my trance. I heard a low whistle coming from somewhere outside. It was not the owl; for it did not sound at all like an owl. It could not have been a bird. Birds would have been fast asleep by now.
I walked to the window and peeped through it. Gopal stood under the tree. He waved at me. Only then did I realized that it was the hour; the appointed time. It was confirmed by the struck of the old grandfather clock in the house. It was eleven o'clock.
By then my parents had retired to their room. My brother and sisters were already fast asleep. Only my grandmother was doing some sewing. I waited for her to sleep too. It was agonizing.

No comments: