Monday, July 20, 2009

Hesitation

Ravi, the youngest said softly, "I'm not so sure now. Can I go home? I'm really afraid."
Thaila interrupted, "Ravi, be brave. If we haven't harmed them, we will be safe."
Gopal whispered, "Right, be brave. I don't know what to expect but stay together."
Guna added, "I'm scared too but if we are helping someone, it has to be good. So I'm staying put."
Well, four to one was the verdict. Furthermore, Ravi could not possibly go back alone in the dark without company. We all stood silently and waited for the unexpected.
An owl hooted far away and then stopped. Then it was all quiet again. What a strange night! Dogs would usually be barking furiously as some of the residents nearby kept them. Even the insects were exceptionally quiet. The distant clanking and hooting of the midnight train jolted us.

No comments: