Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Reaching Home Safely

Luckily I did not collapse out of fright. Everything was so still and not a soul could be seen. It must have been past midnight. I wondered how long I had been rooted there. Still I sensed as if somebody was watching me from afar.
The hooting of an owl jolted me out of the trance and gave me the cue to dash home as quickly. Surprisingly, now I could run so fast. What had happened when the girl or the ghost appeared? I could not even move although I tried to. Was it because the ghosts or spirits had a spell on me then?
My house was not very far away. The lights were on and it was a relief to see it. The comfort of my home and my bed would definitely calm my nerves.
My mother, my brother and my sisters were still up because they were waiting for me. They were in fact just packing up after a long night of baking cookies for the coming Chinese New Year. My grandmother had already retired early as she was tired after the long task.
My mother noticed the change and the messy look in me. My hair was wet and I was sure that gave it away.
She asked, "Heng, what wrong?"
I could only answer, "Nothing. Nothing."
I did not want to look silly. If I had told them about the encounter, they would have laughed and teased me. They would have said; 'Serves you right' or 'Why did you have to go out to watch the horror movie?' or 'Told you so!' or 'Maybe after this you will not dare to go again'.

No comments: