Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Tamarind Tree: Part 1

I heard someone calling my name softly. I turned to the direction of the voice but I could not see anybody. I thought that it was just my imagination or just the wind that was blowing. As it was late in the night, our imaginations can go wild. I kept on walking, as I was rather tired and that it was past midnight.
I was an avid fan of movies and especially horror movies. Every second Thursday of each month, there would be an open-air cinema screening movies, which I had never missed. That particular night, a horror movie "Dracula" was screened. I went there early not wanting to miss it. Many of my friends refused to go because they were afraid of such films.
The unmistaken voice calling me again was quite distinct. I was sure that somebody was calling me. Who could it be? It was drizzling a little but not heavy enough to soak me. Who could be calling me and not showing himself? Was it my friends who wanted to scare me? Or could it be GHOSTS!
I had better not take the risk of stopping and looking around. I was alone and there were stories about ghosts and spirits wandering around at night around the particular lane I was walking on.
At that instant, my thoughts went back to a haunted house up ahead. It seemed that a couple had committed suicide due to a family dispute. The boy had hung himself from a tall branch of a tamarind tree. The girl had consumed a bottle of weed-killer and she died in her house. It seemed that the parents of the boy refused to accept the girl as she was from a family with a lower status. Later, and after the deaths, the two families were often accusing one another for that tragedy.

Be patient and look out for part 2

No comments: