Saturday, March 22, 2008

Talking to the Ghost

In a slow and sad voice she said, "Koong, please me."
I mumbled something, "W..h..a..t?"
The ghost said, "Koong, you have to help me. I will not harm you. We just want your help."
My trembling voice seemed so strange. I said, "O…how do you know my name.. what.. do.. you.. want.. me to.. do..?"
"Koong, you must help us," she said again slowly.
"What… what … can I do?" I was stammering incoherently.
"Koong, you must help us. Only you can," she said.
"How.. how…?" my voice faded.
"You know why we killed ourselves, don't you?" she asked.
"Yes… but…" I asked.
"You must listen carefully. Go to the backyard of my house and under the left side of the staircase leading up to the house, you will find two rings," she said.
I quickly asked, "Yes, then…"
She explained further, "Take the rings. Then find the Indian priest from the local temple. Bring him here tomorrow night. Tomorrow will the one hundredth day of our death."
I asked again, "Is that all?" I was eager to get away as quickly as possible.
"No! No!" she interrupted. "Explain to him that he must help us to be married under the tamarind tree tomorrow."
"Now, I understand," I said with a little sadness inside.
Before I could ask any further, the girl vanished and the hanging figure disappeared too. I was too shocked and dazed after the encounter that I was rooted to the spot. After what seemed to be a very long time, I came to my senses. The hair on my neck and hands were standing on ends and there was a very strange sensation all over my body. My shirt was wet and sticking to my body like the skin due to the sweat that was still oozing from all the pores on my body.

No comments: