Friday, March 21, 2008

The Tamarind Tree: Part 2 The Encounter

That house mentioned was just up ahead, on a hill, which I had to cross to get to my house. The tall tamarind tree was also just beside the house. Oh, my God! Please keep me safe and let those poor souls away from me. People believe that those who died tragically will not rest in peace. Their souls or rather spirits will wander around the scene of the tragedy. People have often seen them; one hanging from the tree and the other sitting under the tree weeping away.
Well, I kept walking as fast as my feet could carry me. I nearly tripped over a root that was sticking out from a tree. How my heart pounded and I thought I could hear it too. The drizzle had stopped and my shirt was wet due to the sweat that was pouring down my neck and back. Again the voice could be heard. How could the spirits know my name? Rubbish! They did not know me. I had never talked to them. Oh, ghosts know everything! Oh, no. That was the last straw. I ran all the way up the hill and was just about to turn away from the sight of the house; I saw it or rather them.
In the light of the moon, I saw a figure crouching under the tamarind tree and another hanging from the tree. It was swaying slightly. I was rooted to the spot as my legs refused to move. I tried to yell but not a sound or whisper could be emitted. My legs were shaking feverishly. My eyes were focused at the horrible scene. It was just 100 metres away. The figure under the tree got up slowly and appeared to stretch out its hand towards me. The hanging figure was still on the tree. My mind must gone blank due to the increasing fear. I was frozen for quite a while. Then when I came to myself, the figure was in front of me, barely 2 metres away.

No comments: