Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sleep and Dream

I did not want to be teased by them so I tried to act as brave as possible. I washed up, brushed my teeth and changed my soiled clothes into dry ones. Then I tucked myself in bed, covering myself from head to toes. In fact I was shivering as if I was having a chill or fever. I could not control myself. I was feverish. I dared not call my mum and explain to them. She would not believe me. It was better to keep it to myself.
I must have dozed off when all of a sudden I awoke or was it a dream; I was not sure. The girl appeared again; sad and sullen; with deep sorrowful eyes. She was crying and I could see her tears rolling down on either side of her cheek. But her tears were flowing like the water in a river. The scene was the same and it was near the tamarind tree. It was similar to the encounter earlier in the night. She floated nearer and nearer and each time, she was calling out my name. It was so sorrowful, the way she called my name. I was sure my heart sank not out of fear but out of pity. The figure hanging from the tree was swaying to and fro as if on a swing.
Although I could not hear what she was trying to say but from the movement of her lips and her gestures, I could understand what she meant.
Suddenly there was a total change in her features. Her tears were tears of blood and her face was not a solemn or sad but of anger and terror. She was stretching her arms and the fingernails seemed to grow longer by the minute. She was about to strike me with her fingernails when I instantly retreated but I slipped and fell. I had tripped over a protruding root of the tamarind tree. She stretched her arms further. Her fingers were holding onto my shoulders and shaking me violently. At that instant, I let out a terrifying and ear-piercing scream. It was uncanny and inhuman like.

No comments: